Events on 26 June 2012
3 April 2012 - 2 October 2012
Ageing Well summer health walks in and around Loanhead every Tuesday evening lasting just over an hour.
Ageing well Loanhead summer health walks leave from Loanhead Leisure Centre on Tuesdays at 18.30.
They are led by fully qualified volunteer walk leaders and last for just over an hour. Just turn up on the night wearing appropriate outdoor clothing and footwear.
Take those first steps to a healthier lifestyle and meet new people. No costs involved.
26 June 2012
Join our expert from the Royal Botanical Gardens Edinburgh to identify ferns in and around Roslin Glen with a short introductory talk followed by an outdoor session in ID skills.
18 June 2012 - 31 August 2012
Go For Gold! is the summer reading challenge for teenagers in P7 to S2.
Where do you go when you've progressed beyond the Summer Reading Challenge? Back to the library of course, to join Go For Gold!, the reading challenge for teenagers in P7 to S2, running in all Midlothian libraries until 31 August.
We've got some great collections of stories - but you can read anything from the libraries to join Go For Gold!
Read 6 books over the summer, write reviews of your favourites and have your name entered into a draw for the chance to win an Amazon voucher.
11 June 2012 - 2 July 2012
Pop into Penicuik Library to find out more about the new food waste collection service and how to recycle your peelings, food scraps and leftovers.
Come along to Penicuik Library to see examples of your new food waste bins and find out more about the proposed changes to your recycling collection services.
25 June 2012 - 24 September 2012
Amateur photographers are invited to enter our Flickr photo competition. The winner will see their photo in print. Entries close on Monday 24 September.
Open to amateur photographers of all ages, the "The history of Midlothian" digital photography competition will run until 24 September.
See your photo in print!
The winning photograph will be printed in a future edition of "Midlothian News" and posted on the homepage of the Flickr Group "The history of Midlothian". It will also be featured in the Midlothian Council website:
How to enter
Entrants must take a digital photograph with the theme "The history of Midlothian" and have a Flickr account.
Judging will take place on Tuesday 25 September.
For more information and to enter your photo(s), please visit the Flickr group, The history of Midlothian:
- All photographs entered must have been taken in Midlothian, Scotland
- All entrants should be amateur photographers (ie you are not paid for a job as a photographer)
- Entrants can be any age
- You may enter up to 3 photographs
- Closing date: Monday 24 September 2012
- Theme: The history of Midlothian
- Flickr Tag: Please add the tag "Midlothian" to the photograph
- All photographs should be 'family friendly'
- Photos should be at least 1024pixels on the longest side
- By entering your images in this group you agree to grant us royalty-free non-exclusive use of your material in any way we want and in any media, most likely the Midlothian council website, www.midlothian.gov.uk and the "Midlothian News" newspaper. However, you'll still own the copyright to everything you contribute, and we'll aim to publish your name alongside anything published wherever possible. Midlothian Council cannot guarantee that all pictures will be used and we reserve the right to edit any material provided.
18 June 2012 - 31 August 2012
Story Lab, the Summer Reading Challenge for children aged 4 to 12 takes place in all libraries throughout the school summer holiday
Join Story Lab at your library and get a fold-out lab with spaces for the stickers you will be given after each book you read for the Challenge.
Read six books to get a medal and certificate, and have your name put into a draw for the chance to win a prize. Each library has a special collection of books, but of course you can choose any book you like.
Pick up a colouring-in sheet or puzzle, or you can write reviews of your favourite books for everyone else to read.
And you can check out the Story Lab website when it's ready in June for quizzes, games and author blogs.
Story Lab runs from 18 June to 31 August, so make sure you get to your local library to join in the fun.