Events on 31 August 2012
27 July 2012 - 26 July 2013
Complete beginners Tai Chi classes with Alwyn on Fridays.
For more information on Ageing Well classes call 0131 561 6506.
27 July 2012 - 26 July 2013
Beginners yoga class at Newtongrange leisure centre on Fridays.
To book a place please call the leisure centre on 0131 561 5325.
For more information on Ageing well classes please call 0131 561 6506.
27 August 2012 - 8 September 2012
Re-live the excitement of the day the Olympic Torch came to Midlothian with this exhibition featuring a selection of the best photographs taken by members of the public and council staff on the day.
Over 20,000 people throughout the county gave a fantastic welcome to the Olympic Flame on 14 June, with many lining the streets as they enjoyed Midlothian's moment to shine.
Now there's another chance to remind yourself of that historic occasion, as we launch a travelling exhibition of photographs taken on the day of the Torch's journey through the county.
See the exhibition
The free exhibition features a selection of the best photographs taken by members of the public and council staff on the day.
It will tour round all our libraries to make sure that all our residents have a chance to view this lasting record of a once-in-a-lifetime experience:
- Bonnyrigg Library: 23 July - 11 August
- Dalkeith Library: 13 - 25 August
- Loanhead Library: 27 August - 8 September
- Penicuik Library: 10 - 23 September
- Danderhall Library: 24 September - 5 October
- Newtongrange Library: 8 - 20 October
- Mayfield Library: 22 October - 3 November
- Gorebridge Library: 5 - 17 November
18 June 2012 - 31 August 2012
Go For Gold! is the summer reading challenge for teenagers in P7 to S2.
Where do you go when you've progressed beyond the Summer Reading Challenge? Back to the library of course, to join Go For Gold!, the reading challenge for teenagers in P7 to S2, running in all Midlothian libraries until 31 August.
We've got some great collections of stories - but you can read anything from the libraries to join Go For Gold!
Read 6 books over the summer, write reviews of your favourites and have your name entered into a draw for the chance to win an Amazon voucher.
1 June 2012 - 14 December 2012
New Age Kurling is a great sport for all abilities. Come along and try it out for yourself.
New Age Kurling comes to Mayfield as part of the Ageing Well Be Active programme.
Come along and try out this sport - no ice needed.
Only £1 per week and a chance to socialise and become a free member of the Ageing Well Project which entitles you to newsletters, health advice as well as discounts from various stores and organisations locally.
For more information call:
- 0131 5616506
25 June 2012 - 24 September 2012
Amateur photographers are invited to enter our Flickr photo competition. The winner will see their photo in print. Entries close on Monday 24 September.
Open to amateur photographers of all ages, the "The history of Midlothian" digital photography competition will run until 24 September.
See your photo in print!
The winning photograph will be printed in a future edition of "Midlothian News" and posted on the homepage of the Flickr Group "The history of Midlothian". It will also be featured in the Midlothian Council website:
How to enter
Entrants must take a digital photograph with the theme "The history of Midlothian" and have a Flickr account.
Judging will take place on Tuesday 25 September.
For more information and to enter your photo(s), please visit the Flickr group, The history of Midlothian:
- All photographs entered must have been taken in Midlothian, Scotland
- All entrants should be amateur photographers (ie you are not paid for a job as a photographer)
- Entrants can be any age
- You may enter up to 3 photographs
- Closing date: Monday 24 September 2012
- Theme: The history of Midlothian
- Flickr Tag: Please add the tag "Midlothian" to the photograph
- All photographs should be 'family friendly'
- Photos should be at least 1024pixels on the longest side
- By entering your images in this group you agree to grant us royalty-free non-exclusive use of your material in any way we want and in any media, most likely the Midlothian council website, www.midlothian.gov.uk and the "Midlothian News" newspaper. However, you'll still own the copyright to everything you contribute, and we'll aim to publish your name alongside anything published wherever possible. Midlothian Council cannot guarantee that all pictures will be used and we reserve the right to edit any material provided.