Special uplift service
Bulky uplift collection
A special collection service is offered to householders, commonly known as a "Bulky" uplift, for items not covered by the regular bin collection services. The service operates as follows:
- Each household is entitled to 1 free uplift per year
- Your free uplifts cover items such as furniture, furnishings, old beds, large toys and other household goods
- Up to 7 items can be collected. Please note that items should be counted separately. eg: a double bed is a bed base plus a mattress and counts as 2 items
- For other items we also offer a chargeable service, for a minimum cost of £20.00. A comprehensive list of items which we do and do not accept (as well as the cost for their uplift) can be downloaded below
- A charge is made for the collection of fridges, freezers and fridge/freezers. The current cost is £20.00
- If you need to arrange for an additional collection, the cost of this will be based on the number and type of items you need to have collected at a minimum charge of £20.00
- Waste staff are unable to assist with preparing or dismantling items for uplift
- Bulky uplift price list and items that can be collected (PDF)
You can book a collection online, or by calling 0131 561 5284, and you will be provided with an advanced date for collection when you book.
Items should be placed at the kerbside by 7am on the date of collection. This is usually the place where your grey bin is put out for collection.
Other options for disposal
If your items are in good condition then you may wish to consider donating them to charity or giving them to a friend or family member. Online swap shops such as freegle or freecycle can be used to donate unwanted items. You may also be able to sell items in local ads, or online sites.
If items are broken or have no further use then these can be disposed of free of charge at our Household Waste Recycling Centres.
If you intend to bring household waste items to the Recycling Centre in a van or large vehicle, please let us know in advance.