Young people and homelessness

Housing rights if you're 16 or 17

Almost all 16 and 17 year-olds are seen to be in 'priority need' when it comes to housing. This means the housing section can help find you somewhere to live.

The exceptions are:

  • if you have lived abroad and are not a British citizen
  • if you have spent at least 13 weeks in care since the age of 14
  • if you are classed as a 'child in need'

If any of these apply to you, then the social services department will deal with your case.

Social services will check your situation to see if there's any way you can return home, or go and live with another relative. They cannot force you to go back to anywhere you do not feel safe.