Springfield Mill is a small but spectacular reserve on the site of an old paper mill which is set deep in the River North Esk valley.
The site lends itself very well to a spring stroll, summer picnic or autumn colours viewpoint.
The site is open 365 days of the year.
Facilities and events
- Free car parking
- Tarred pathway to riverside, suitable for wheel chairs, and whin pathways to woodlands, ponds and wildflower meadows
- Information panel containing map and local news
- Site leaflet
- Pond-dipping platform
- Special events and activities organised the Ranger Service. Pick up a Lothians and Borders Outdoor Diary
- Free resource boxes are available to all, from the Ranger Service, full of useful equipment to pond-dip, mini-beast hunt or to explore the nature of the site
- Free curricular-based environmental education activities for schools and groups organised by the Ranger Service
Please contact Midlothian Ranger Service for countryside information, events, school and group visits and resource box hire.
The grid reference is NT288648 on OS Landranger series NO 66 Edinburgh Map
Services travel to Polton Mill, Bonnyrigg and Loanhead from where the site can be accesssed on foot