Services for children and young people

Throughcare and Aftercare

The Throughcare and Aftercare team provides support for young people leaving the care of the Council. The service works in partnership with young people and other colleagues including Housing, Education, Skills Development Scotland, and many voluntary organisations to meet the assessed needs of young people and work to a Pathway Plan. The Pathway Plan sets out how a young person's needs will be met and the roles and responsibilities of all involved.

Throughcare and Aftercare work with young people during their transition from foster care, residential school or other residential setting supporting them to prepare for independence and remaining involved until they are 21 (25 if in higher education) if appropriate.

One to one support is offered together with advocacy, signposting and co-ordination with other agencies to ensure the young persons' Pathway Plan remains relevant and achievable. The plan is reviewed every 6 months and at all times the young person's views are central.

We are committed to our service user participation and endeavour to involve young people in service development and training events.

The responsibilities of the team are set out in the Support and Assistance of Young People Leaving Care (Scotland) Regulations 2003 which enhanced the provisions of the Children (Scotland) Act 1995 for all young people ceasing to be looked after at school leaving age or beyond.

Throughcare and after care team

Save to address book

11 St Andrews Street
EH22 1AL

0131 271 3860 (tel)