What is Housing Benefit?

Housing Benefit is a Government scheme to help those on low income pay their rent. We administer the scheme for Midlothian residents.

For general advice and guidance about Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction visit:

What does it cover?

Housing Benefit only covers your basic rent. This is called your eligible rent.

Charges for some services are taken off your rent before we work out your Housing Benefit. The amount taken off is either the amount you pay or, if this is not known, a fixed amount set by the Government.

If you pay rent to a private landlord (not the council or a Housing Association) your rent will be set by the rent registration service.

How do I claim benefit?

Save to address book

If you want to make a claim,or want further information on housing benefit or council tax reduction please contact:

Midlothian Council
Buccleuch House
P.O. Box 12956
EH22 1YB

0131 271 3201 (tel)