Paying your Council Tax
Paying by direct debit
The simplest and safest way to pay your Council Tax is by direct debit. Once you've set it up, everything happens automatically!
All you need is a bank or building society account.
To set up a direct debit quickly over the phone call:
- 0131 271 3201.
Our telephone lines are open:
- 09:00 - 17:00 Monday and Tuesday
- 10:00 - 17:00 Wednesday
- 09:00 - 17:00 Thursday
- 09:00 - 15:30 Friday
- Closed on Public Holidays
Please have the following information ready before you call:
- Council tax account number (on the top of your bill)
- Your bank or building society details including your account number and sort code
We will then send you a confirmation letter within 3 working days of setting up the direct debit. An amended demand notice will also be sent to you showing the instalments to be taken from your bank account at least 10 working days before any amount is debited from your account.
If you prefer you can download an application form
You can choose which way to pay your bill from this list of options:
- 10 monthly instalments by direct debit on either the 1st, 16th, or the end of the month (April to January).
- 12 monthly instalments by direct debit on either the 1st, 16th, or the end of the month (April to March).
- 10 monthly instalments by payment card due by the 1st of each month (April to January). (You cannot spread your payments over 12 months with payment cards.)
- Payment of the full amount by 31 May
Council tax direct debit
To set up a direct debit over the phone contact this number.
0131 271 3201 (tel)
If you have a debit or credit card you can now make payments over the phone.
This is an automated payment system and is available 24/7.
0131 660 1845 (tel)