Free school meals, milk and assistance with schoolwear
Applying for a clothing grant and free meals
We provide a midday meal during term time at no cost to the pupil.
Pupils entitled to free school meals are given a 200ml carton of milk each day.
We also provide a grant towards the cost of school wear. The rate of payment is £60 per primary pupil and £65 per secondary pupil.
How to apply
There is a single application form for both benefits and it is only necessary to apply once per year.
Application forms are also available from your school.
Applications for the school session starting in August should be submitted by the end of the previous May.
We support parents of children of primary/secondary school age who are in receipt of:
- Income Support,
- Income Based Job Seeker's Allowance,
- Employment and Support Allowance
- Child Tax Credit only (with an annual income less than £15,910),
- Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999,
- Child Tax Credit and Working Tax Credit (with an annual income less than £6,420),
- Universal Credit (Please note that as Universal Credit is introduced in Scotland from October 2013, the eligibility criteria may change in line with Scottish Government guidelines.)