Swap your home with a Mutual Exchange
What do I need to know?
- You must not go ahead with an exchange until you have our permission in writing. If the other tenant is not a Midlothian Council Tenant, he or she must also have written permission from their landlord.
- Landlords cannot refuse permission without having good reason. If you or the other tenant goes ahead with the exchange without asking for permission, or after permission has been refused, you can be forced to move back.
- The landlord must reply to your request for permission within 20 working days. If you do not get a reply within that time, you can go ahead with the exchange as if it were agreed.
- It is very important to look over the other property carefully before you exchange. When you exchange, you take over the existing tenancy and so take over full responsibility for any alterations, improvements or damage done by the people you exchanged with. If we have to repair any damage they have done, you will have to pay for the cost of the repair.
- It is illegal to pay anyone to exchange with you. If this happens, all the people involved could be made to return to their original homes.