Applying for a council house in Midlothian

Applying for a house in Midlothian

You can apply to our Housing List if you are:

  • aged 16 or over
  • a UK citizen
  • a  citizen of an entitled European Union country
  • an asylum seeker who has received a positive decision from the UK Border Agency and has been given either indefinite leave or settled status to remain in the United Kingdom
  • homeless

Being accepted onto the waiting list does not mean you will be offered housing.


Midlothian Homes  

Midlothian Council operates a Common Housing Register with Melville Housing Association. This means that applicants only need to fill in one form to be housed by either the Council or Melville Housing Association which, after the Council, is the second largest provider of affordable housing in Midlothian.

The Midlothian Homes application form is user-friendly and contains a map of Midlothian to identify the areas which applicants want to choose. There’s also detailed information on sheltered housing and contact information for all social landlords and supported accommodation.


How to apply

The same form should be completed regardless of whether you are applying for housing or sheltered housing.

The date we receive your application and any supporting evidence will be the day that you are accepted on to the housing waiting list.

We will write to you with the result of your application.  We aim to do this within 28 days in some cases this may take longer if further information is needed.

Please let us know as soon as possible if:

Housing Allocations

Save to address book

Buccleuch House
1 White Hart Street
EH22 1AE

0131 271 3394 (tel)