Snowsports - Ski touring skills course
Dates and times
All courses run from 9:00 – 1:00pm
- Introduction to Ski Touring Skills. 17 August or 10 November
- Ski Touring Skills. 10 November
Cost: £50 per day
- Zero to Hero Ski Tourer Course. 10 & 17 August
Cost: £100 for the course
Includes use of facilities and normal hire equipment (recommended for the downhill skiing time to preserve your own kit). Ski Touring equipment, wax for protecting the bases and skins are provided. (Subject to Midlothian Council scale of charges)
Entry requirementsParallel skiers only, competent in tackling the steep section of the main slope.
Course contentThis course is an introductory course, although it's an opportunity to practice skills learned before the start of season. However, be aware that there will be people on the course who have never ski toured before.
The course will be an opportunity to:
- become more familiar with ski touring and avalanche safety equipment
- learn skinning technique (including kick turns and other useful skills)
- learn the theory of terrain choice and avalanche awareness for off piste skiing
- learn and practice basic transceiver searches
- be coached on your downhill ski performance with a focus on off-piste skiing technique
- learn some useful mountain skills for descending steep, narrow and difficult terrain.