Midlothian Food and Key Essentials Fund
The Food and Key Essentials Fund is currently closed. A further update will be provided after the summer of 2021.
Why has it closed?
The fund was open to those in severe financial difficulty, impacted by COVID-19, who couldn't afford to buy food and other essentials. Between mid-December 2020 and end-February 2021, we supported over 4,000 households with food vouchers and fuel payments.
Before making a decision on the future of the Food and Key Essentials Fund, we want to carry out a review of the scheme and other ways in which the council provides support to those in the greatest need.
Have your say
As part of our review of how we will operate the food fund in the future, we would welcome your views.
- How easy did you find it to apply for help?
- What could we do differently to improve any future scheme? For example, should we change the criteria for who is eligible for support? Or should we have an alternative to vouchers or home delivery?
- What other things could the council and its partners do to support the most vulnerable and those in the greatest need in our communities?
Send your comments and suggestions to: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you need help
If you are in crisis and need help while the Food Fund is closed, you may be eligible for a Scottish Welfare Fund grant:
If you are in financial difficulty, other support and advice is also available:
- Contact Midlothian Foodbank
- Contact your local Citizens Advice Bureau at Dalkeith (Tel. 0131 660 1636) or Penicuik (01968 675259)
- The British Red Cross may be able to assist with some financial support for individuals/families who meet the criteria for their Hardship Fund, which gives cash grants to the poorest people facing financial hardship because of the pandemic. The British Red Cross is working with statutory and voluntary partner organisations who can refer individuals to the Hardship Fund for support
- Over 65s facing financial hardship can also contact the local branch of the Red Cross on 0131 654 0340 for advice, information and practical support for a benefit check