Online forms: Request a copy of your information

This form has a maximum of 9 pages

To request personal information we hold:

  1. Read the instructions on this page.
  2. Complete and submit the form.
  3. Check your inbox for an email with all the details you've given.
  4. Print the email and sign it.
  5. Send it with copies of your ID documents to the postal address shown.

The details you give in the form are automatically deleted after 7 days. Our privacy policy.

Subject Access Request

The law says you may ask for a copy of the personal information we hold about you. This is called a Subject Access Request.

You have the right to know:

  • what kind of information we have about you
  • why we have that information
  • who we might share your information with.

Who can make the request?

  • You can make this request yourself
  • or someone can make it for you, for example a solicitor or an advocate. They must show that you have given them permission.


If you are a parent, or have parental responsibilities, you can ask for a copy of your child’s information if they are under 13. If they are 13 or over, we must give the information to the child as long as they have the capacity to understand the information. In all cases we must think about the best interests of the child.

If you are the legal guardian for a person who can’t make decisions for themselves, for example through learning disability or dementia, you can ask for a copy of that person's information. We may ask to see documents confirming your responsibilities, and your identity.

Do I need to pay?

No. There is no charge unless we believe the request is excessive. If we think that it is, we will explain why.

Could my request be refused?

Generally, no. However, if we think that your request involves “disproportionate effort” then we can refuse. If we do this, we will try to give you a summary of the information instead.

What proof of identity must I provide?

A good quality copy of one of:

  • passport
  • driving licence
  • or similar photo ID.


  • a copy of your birth certificate
  • and a recent bill from a utility company (gas and/or electricity or landline phone). Mobile phone bills are not suitable.

Do not include the original documents if you are posting your request.

What do I need to do when I pick up my information?

We will contact you when your information is ready. If you collect it, you must bring the original identification documents that you gave us copies of. This is to ensure that we are giving your information to you.

Afterwards we will destroy all copies of identification you provided because we will not need them any more.

What will be included when I get my information?

Your information will come with:

  • a covering letter
  • a list of contents so that you know what is included
  • a list of any abbreviations used so you can understand what you've been given
  • our contact details if there's anything you want to discuss further, or make a complaint.

Will there be anything that I won’t get?

A Subject Access Request lets you see the information we hold about you. Some records will include information about other people, like family members or other service users. Unless we have permission to show you that information, we will redact it (black it out).

How long will it take?

We must give you your information as quickly as we can, and within a month of confirming your identity.

If we think it will take longer, we will tell you as soon as we can, and say how long we think it will take. We still must give it to you within a further two months.


  • select 'Begin this form' (below). You don't need to sign in, as long as you complete each page in less than 10 minutes.
  • or register and sign in with myaccount. If you are signed in, the form will save and you can finish it later. Your contact details will be already filled in.