5-21 year olds
5-21 year olds living in Scotland can apply for free bus travel.
Even if you already have a National Entitlement Card or Young Scot National Entitlement Card, you must apply for a new or replacement card to travel by bus for free.
How to apply
- Parents or guardians of under 16s must apply on their behalf and give approval for the free bus travel card to be activated
- Young people aged 16 years and over can apply themselves
- Children under 5 years old already travel on buses for free
For more details on how to apply visit the Free Bus website
If you need help to apply online
- Guidance on how to apply is on the Free Bus website
If you can't apply online
Applying via Midlothian Council may take much longer than applying online. This is because we will have to carry out a number of checks before any application can be approved.
We expect a high demand which will also affect how quickly we can process applications.
Young Scot Card holder
Aged between 16 and 21 and already have an active NEC or Young Scot NEC? You can download your free bus travel using the Transport Scot Pass Collect app and get free travel right away. Please visit the Free Bus website for information on how to download and use the app.
If you are unable to complete an online application or unable to use the Transport Scot Pass Collect app, please complete one of the three forms outline below depending on the age of the applicant.
Only download and complete a form if the applicant already has a Young Scot Card.
- Download the relevant application form and guidance document
- Before starting your application read the guidance notes included with the form
- Print off and return your completed form as outlined in the guidance notes
- If you don't have access to a printer ask your school for a paper copy or visit your local library
- Over 5 at primary school - application form and guidance (PDF)
- Under 16 at secondary school - application form and guidance (PDF)
- 16-21-year-old - application form and guidance (PDF)
No Young Scot Card
If the applicant does not have a Young Scot Card:
- The quickest way is to apply on the Free Bus website
- Or school staff can provide a paper application form if required
- Or print off, follow the guidance notes, and return your completed form to your local library
More information about the scheme
Please check the Free Bus website for answers to specific queries about the scheme.