Council Tax, benefits and welfare
Financial support if self-isolating
If you are told by the Test and Protect Service to self-isolate because of close contact with someone who has Covid-19, you may be eligible for a £500 lump sum.
Self-isolation support grant
The Scottish Government has introduced the new Covid-19 Self-isolation support grant for people on a low income who must self-isolate for 14 days and cannot work from home during this period.
To be eligible for the new Covid-19 Self-Isolation Support Grant, you must:
- Have been required to self-isolate by the Test and Protect service as a result of COVID-19 anytime from 28 September 2020, either because you have tested positive for coronavirus, have recently been in close contact with someone who has tested positive or are awaiting a result or you are the identified appropriate parent or primary carer of a child under 16 who has been required by the Test and Protect Service or a school-based Incident Management Team notification to self-isolate
- Be employed or self-employed
- And be unable to work from home and will experience reduced earnings as a result
- And must be currently receiving, or have been awarded but not yet received a payment of, or have underlying eligibility (would ordinarily be entitled should an application have been made) for Universal Credit based on earnings prior to your isolation period, Working Tax Credit, Employment and Support Allowance, Jobseeker’s Allowance, Income Support, Housing Benefit and or Pension Credit.
Paid into bank account
Individuals who qualify and who meet the criteria will be entitled to a £500 lump sum payable into their bank account. Government guidance states the payments will only be eligible for positive diagnosis from 28 September 2020 onwards (not before). Eligible people will be able to claim for each period of self-isolation.
- You may be asked for evidence in support of your application however we will use information held by this authority in the first instance.
How to apply
- By phone: call 0131 270 5600
- Lines are open Monday to Thursday 08:30 - 17:00, and Friday 08:30 - 16:00