Bins and recycling
With staff numbers depleted, we are ensuring delivery of essential and critical services. As a result:
- garden waste collections
- glass collections
- bulky uplifts
are all suspended.
All trade waste collections are operating.
Our Recycling Centres are now closed.
When Waste Services has a full complement of staff, we will resume suspended services.
We understand your frustration with the suspended collections, but please avoid calling us about this. We urgently need to free up phone lines to support the many vulnerable people in our community. Your understanding is appreciated.
Please look out for your neighbours and check they are able to put their bins out. It may not be possible to come back for missed bins until your next scheduled collection day.
If your bin has been missed, report this online. We cannot take phone calls about this. Report a missed bin.
We have answered some Frequently Asked Questions. We will update you as soon as we have more information.
Statutory waste collection services are our priority, and are currently operating. These are:
- Grey bins (general refuse)
- Blue bins (dry mixed recycling)
- Food waste collections
All trade waste collections are also currently operating.
Please put out your container for collection for 7am as there may be changes to your collection time.
As more people will be working from home, please consider where you park on your bin collection day. To allow us to safely access your bins:
- Always park more than 10m (32ft) from a junction.
- Park close to the kerb with wing mirrors folded in.
Recycling Centres – closed
- In line with national guidelines to protect public health, the Recycling Centres are closed.
- Sites will remain closed until the non-essential travel restrictions are lifted, we have staff available to run the sites, and the outlets that we take materials to are fully open and able to accept waste / recycling.
- Please store waste at home until we can re-open the Recycling Centres and resume all kerbside collections.
- Don’t leave waste at the entrance to the sites.
- Dumping waste is a serious offence. Anyone caught can be prosecuted.
What to do with your waste if you have Coronavirus symptoms
If you have symptoms of Coronavirus, or live with someone who does, you must put any personal waste (such as used tissues), disposable cleaning clothes and masks into a disposable plastic bag.
- Put this bag into another bag
- Tie this bag securely
- Store bags for at least 72 hours before putting them in your grey bin
- Ensure the bagged waste is securely contained in your grey bin
- On your collection day, ensure the bin lid is fully closed.
You can dispose of all other household waste as normal.
Blue bin collections
- Do not put glass in your blue bin. Please see the information above.
- Do not put used tissues in your blue bin. Put these in your grey bin.
- Due to changes in staff, your waste/recycling may be collected by a different crew and at a different time.
- Ensure your containers are easily accessible and visible.
- We may have to change where we collect and return your bins from/to.
Services suspended until further notice
Bulky waste collections
Please store waste at home until we can re-open the Recycling Centres and resume all kerbside collections.
Glass collections (red box)
- There are no health risks with storing clean glass containers.
- Rinse bottles and jars and store these at home.
- Please do not use local Recycling Points to dispose of your glass. We do not have the staff to empty these or clean up fly-tipped material.
Brown bin collections
- You can still sign up for this service, but no bin stickers will be sent out until the service resumes.
- A separate email has been sent to all customers if we hold this information.
- More information
Waste Aware activities
- If an event has been arranged, you will receive an email from the Waste Aware Officer.
- Applications for additional waste capacity are suspended.
Community Litter Picks
Keep Scotland Beautiful have suspended Keep Scotland Clean 2020 events, so we cannot support community litter picks. This includes loans of litter pickers and collection/disposal of collected litter.
Services operating with a limited service
Bin delivery and repairs
- We are not repairing or replacing brown bins or red boxes.
- We are not uplifting any unwanted waste containers.
- Delivering bins to new build houses is our priority. Delivery of other bins will take priority over bin repairs.
- Please understand that it may take up to 15 working days to repair or replace your bin. If you need a replacement bin or a repair, please leave the damaged one where staff can easily access it – not behind locked gates or parked cars. If we cannot access your bin, we may not be able to return for some time.
- You cannot collect waste containers from Stobhill Depot. This site is not open to the public.
Litter/dogs bins and street cleansing
- There will be much reduced street cleansing activities, including street sweeping and litter bin emptying.
- Please take litter/dog waste home with you where possible.