Bins and recycling
Waste services currently operating
- Grey bins (general refuse)
- Blue bins (dry mixed recycling)
- Brown bins (garden waste)
- Food waste collections
- Red box (glass bottles and jars)
- Trade waste collection / trade recycling collections
- Waste Aware Activities
- Support for community based litter picking activities
- Stobhill Recycling Centre is open. Vans and trailers can book to use the centre.
- Penicuik Recycling Centre is open.
Bulky waste collections
- Bulky waste collections have resumed.
Please put out your container for collection for 6:30am as there may be changes to your collection time.
Please look out for your neighbours and check they are able to put their bins out. It may not be possible to come back for missed bins until your next scheduled collection day.
If your bin has been missed, report this online. We cannot take phone calls about this. Report a missed bin.
As more people will be working from home, please consider where you park on your bin collection day. To allow us to safely access your bins:
- Always park more than 10m (32ft) from a junction.
- Park close to the kerb with wing mirrors folded in.
What to do with your waste if you have Coronavirus symptoms
If you have symptoms of Coronavirus, or live with someone who does, you must put any personal waste (such as used tissues), disposable cleaning clothes and masks into a disposable plastic bag.
- Put this bag into another bag
- Tie this bag securely
- Store bags for at least 72 hours before putting them in your grey bin
- Ensure the bagged waste is securely contained in your grey bin
- On your collection day, ensure the bin lid is fully closed.
You can dispose of all other household waste as normal.
Blue bin collections
- Do not put glass in your blue bin.
- Do not put used tissues in your blue bin. Put these in your grey bin.
- Due to changes in staff, your waste/recycling may be collected by a different crew and at a different time.
- Ensure your containers are easily accessible and visible.
- We may have to change where we collect and return your bins from/to.
Services operating with a limited service
Bin delivery and repairs
- We are not uplifting any unwanted waste containers.
- Delivering bins to new build houses is our priority. Delivery of other bins will take priority over bin repairs.
- Please understand that it may take up to 15 working days to repair or replace your bin. If you need a replacement bin or a repair, please leave the damaged one where staff can easily access it – not behind locked gates or parked cars. If we cannot access your bin, we may not be able to return for some time.
- You cannot collect waste containers from Stobhill Depot. This site is not open to the public.
Litter/dogs bins and street cleansing
- Please take litter/dog waste home with you where possible.