Schools, early learning and children
Helping your children to cope
Your child will be learning from your response to the crisis. Seeing you staying calm and resilient will be crucial to helping them cope.
It's very important to keep structure and routine for your child while schools begin to re-open. These 10 tips may help your child’s health and well-being:
- Set times for getting up and going to bed for your child.
- Have regular meal times.
- Build in time for fresh air and exercise as far as possible.
- Structure your child’s day so that they have a variety of activities and break times.
- Create a menu of activities that your child can do during the day.
- Make a daily plan of activities and share these with your child the night before so that you all know what is happening the next day.
- Review the day’s activities and talk about what they have done. A sense of accomplishment is important for children and young people.
- Make Monday to Friday different from the weekend by structuring the activities along the same timings as a normal school day, if they are not yet in full time.
- Decide when and for how long your child will have access to electronic devices and for what purpose.
- Use technology to stay in contact with friends and family.