Spaces for People
We are looking at ways to encourage more people to walk, cycle and travel actively.
Our bid to Sustrans
These proposals involve changes to roads, streets, foot and cycle paths for the duration of the pandemic crisis. This is an emergency response, and we can only bid for temporary measures. The priorities are social distancing, and routes to work and school.
Proposals approved for funding by Sustrans
The following projects are approved for funding:
- Improved social distancing on footpaths through cut-back vegetation
- Temporary measures in Dalkeith, Bonnyrigg, Gorebridge, Loanhead town centres (not being progressed by the council)
- Easthouses Road to Waterfall Park, Dalkeith
- Eastfield Industrial Estate to Beeslack High School link development
- Social distancing signs to encourage correct behaviours on our paths
- Dalkeith to Pathhead covid-19 rural cycle route
The above are completed with the exception of the temporary measures in town centres.
Second bid applications
Any suggestions not taken into account in the first raft are included (several are from community councils). Sustrans have assessed the following as eligible for funding:
- Vehicular traffic ban on Crawlees Road, Oatslie Road and Roslin Glen Road (No decisions or actions to implement the proposal have been taken. There will be a public consultation before any decision is taken on the proposal.) Find out more and give your views by Friday 30 October.
- Signage for Spaces for People
- NCR1 & 196
Other proposals not approved for funding
- A7 Newtonloan Toll to City of Edinburgh boundary north of Danderhall
- A768/C35 Midlothian - City of Edinburgh boundary improvement
- Eastfield Drive, Penicuik to City of Edinburgh link improvement
- Easthouses Road and Lauder Road improvement
- Lamp post cycle safety banners in town centres
- Mauricewood Road, Penicuik improvement
- Seafield Moor Road cycling connection
- Wadingburn Road, Lasswade improvement
- Covid 19 school route signage
- School Crossing Guide site safety
- Social distancing guidance flyers on routes to school
- Lasswade Primary, social distancing route improvements
Our permanent infrastructure plans will progress as crisis restrictions ease. Please look at our Active Travel Strategy showing the priorities for permanent walking and cycling infrastructure in Midlothian.