#MidlothianCares and Challenge Poverty Week 2023
Challenge Poverty Week 2023
#MidlothianCares is our campaign to offer local people help identified by our cross party Cost of Living Task Force. To complement what is on offer we are working with partner agencies on a range of events during Challenge Poverty Week, which runs from Monday 2 October to Sunday 8 October.
Events for Challenge Poverty Week:
Monday 2 October
- Our four council warm and well hubs at Danderhall, Newbattle, Loanhead and Lasswade libraries relaunch. There is free soup, hot drinks and wifi. Enjoy the books, games and computers, while recharging your phone. Staff members are also on hand to signpost you to cost of living help. Available during normal opening hours.
- 10.30am-1pm: Volunteer Midlothian will be hosting a volunteering drop-in session for people who want to find out more about volunteering opportunities at The Salon, 8 White Hart Street, Dalkeith. Volunteering is a great way of people developing skills, confidence and experience to help with steps towards employment. The drop-in will be an informal session where people can explore volunteering opportunities and discuss options over a cup of tea/coffee and refreshments.
- 10am-12pm: Drop in to St John's and King's Park Church in Dalkeith (opposite Morrisons) to hear a presentation by Dalkeith Citizens Advice Bureau about its service and how it can help you.
Wednesday 4 October
- 9.30am-3pm: Drop in to Skills Development Scotland Careers Centre on Eskbank Road (across from Morrisons) to speak to one of its career advisers for support with careers, education and employment options and help with planning your next steps.
- 2pm-3.30pm: Dalkeith CAB will run a pop up income maximisation advice event at Jobcentre +, 7 Buccleuch St, Dalkeith EH22 1HB.
Thursday 5 October
- 3:15pm-4.30pm: If your 5-21-year-olds don’t have their free bus pass yet then join us in Newbattle Library, Penicuik Library, Lasswade Library or Dalkeith Library. (Please bring along proof of address, photographic identification and a passport sized photo or digital photo. If parents/carers/guardians can come along it will make the process a bit easier, but forms to take home can be provided).