Trace your family tree
Midlothian Libraries has free resources to help you trace your family's history both from home and the library.
Get started at home
- Talk to older members of your family
- Look for letters, documents, certificates, photographs and medals
- Look on the Scran website for images
- Borrow a book from your local library about tracing your family tree
There are various ways to obtain copies of Birth, Marriage or Death certificates:
- For recent certificates contact the Midlothian Registrar
- For a historical certificate register and search at the Scotlands People website
- Order certificates from the General Register of Scotland website
Visit the Local & Family History Library
Appointments are not required, but it is helpful to contact us in advance so that we can prepare material for you. Some of the collection is stored offsite and it can take several days to make some records available. It will also help if you can be as specific as you can about your enquiry.
- Microfilm and microfiche readers
Copyright-free images may be scanned. Guidance notes are available if you want to use our images in a publication.
- Black & White printing is 5p per page
- Colour printing is 55p per page
- Black and white photocopies cost 10p per A4 sheet, 20p per A3 sheet.
- Sending faxes from the library costs £1.05 per sheet within UK, £1.60 per sheet within Europe, and £2.10 per sheet outside Europe
- Receiving a fax costs £1.05
Tours of Local & Family History Library can be organised for groups and school classes.