Planning for Change - reshaping council services in Midlothian
How to get involved
We're encouraging everyone to have their say. We've spoken to community councils and other local groups, our partners, residents, service users, our employees and trades unions, to let them know why we are having to change, and to get their views on our plans for change.
What we’ve been asking
What are the priorities for your community?
- We know from recent consultations that education is the top priority for most local people. Services for older and vulnerable people are also viewed as very important, followed by road improvements.
Which services would you want community groups and volunteers to help deliver? Would you want to get involved?
- In future, the council won’t have the money to run all the services and local facilities that we currently have. If local people want to keep these going, the council might be able to provide support and training to get them started.
What services can the council stop providing to save money?
- The council will have to look at every service that it is not legally obliged to provide to see what it can stop doing to save money. Even some statutory services will be reduced, closer to the legal minimum.
Find out more
- Read about the savings as other measure we are planning, following the June 2019 Council meeting
- Read our Medium Term Financial Strategy
- See the one-page 'infographic' factsheet produced earlier in 2019, setting out our budget challenge
- Download or view the Planning for Change leaflet produced earlier in 2019 as part of our consultations
- You can also find more information on the council’s budget challenge and on the steps the council has already taken to make savings, on our Spending Choices web pages.
Get in touch
- Email comments and suggestions to [email protected]
- Write to Have Your Say, Midlothian Council, Midlothian House, Buccleuch Street, Dalkeith EH22 1DN
- Join the conversation on Facebook and Twitter @midgov #MakingaDifference
- Read what people have been saying during our consultation in April May 2019
Help us improve our siteHaving problems submitting this form?
- Statement of Accounts
- Annual Performance Reports
- Single Midlothian Plan
- Service plans
- Balanced Scorecard
- SPI-2 Local Government Benchmarking Results
- Workforce Strategy
- Adult Social Care quarterly performance reports
- Children's Services quarterly performance reports
- Commercial Operations quarterly performance reports
- Communities and Economy quarterly performance reports
- Customer and Housing Services quarterly performance reports
- Education quarterly performance reports
- Finance and Integrated Service Support quarterly performance reports
- Property and Facilities Management quarterly performance reports
- Midlothian Council quarterly performance reports
- Midlothian Licensing Board Income and Expenditure
- Education Attainment and Achievement Report
- Savings approved by Midlothian Council on 13 February 2018
- Financial Strategy figures 2018/19 to 2021/22
- Trade union facility time
- How we spend your money 2018/19
- 2018 Education Attainment and Achievement Report
- 2018-2028 Capital Investment Strategy
- Midlothian physical activity, sport and health strategy 2018-23
- Planning for Change leaflet (PDF)
- Planning for Change infographic factsheet (PDF)
- Midlothian Council Unaudited Financial Statements 2018/19 (PDF)