Council tenants encouraged to change the way they pay their rent

Council house tenants in Midlothian are being asked to look at changing the way they pay their rent and Council Tax.

Switch to direct debit

Because the council’s payments counter at Buccleuch House in Dalkeith is currently closed, tenants are being asked to switch to direct debit, or to look at other payment methods.

Safe and easy

“Unfortunately, we’ve had to close our housing enquiry and payments counter in Dalkeith due to the Coronavirus outbreak,” explained Council Leader, Councillor Derek Milligan. “We are now also having to review how we will provide these services in the future. In the meantime, our aim is to make it as easy and as safe as possible for tenants to continue to make payments and access other services.

Save time and trouble

“Many of our tenants and council taxpayers already use direct debit, which is the easiest and safest way to pay for those who have a bank or building society account. Payments are made automatically, saving the time and trouble of making unwanted journeys or waiting in a queue. It’s quick and easy to set up – one telephone call is all that’s needed – and I would strongly urge tenants to look at doing this.

Other ways to pay

“We do recognise though, that direct debit’s not for everyone, so there are other easy ways to pay such as using a debit or credit card online or over the telephone, or by using a payment card in a local post office or at one of the many shops that accept these payments.

Difficulty paying?

“Above all, we want anyone who is having difficulty paying their rent or Council Tax to know that confidential help and advice is available.  We would ask them not to put this off, and to get in touch with us as soon as possible.”

Help and advice

  • If you’re behind with your rent or Council Tax or having difficulty paying, call 0131 271 3499 or email [email protected]
  • To set up direct debit payments, call 0131 271 3201
  • Tenants who want to make a debit or credit card payment can do this on our payment pages or by phoning 0131 660 1845 
  • More information on payment methods is available on our housing pages

Using a Payment Card

You can also pay your rent or Council Tax using your Payment Card at any Post Office or shop that displays the Paypoint or Payzone sign.

16 Jul 2020