Planned strike action by teachers – January 10 and 11
We are reminding parents and carers we have been notified that national strike action by members of the Educational Institute of Scotland (EIS), the Association of Head Teachers and Deputes Scotland (AHDS) and Scottish Secondary Schools Association (SSTA) is taking place in early/mid-January 2023.
This will result in a significant reduction in staffing levels within schools and will affect all areas of Scotland. In preparing for the impact of these days we can give notification of the following in relation to the strike days, should they go ahead.
Tuesday 10 January 2023
- All Midlothian primary schools are expected to close to all pupils
- All primary and ASN primary home to school transport will not operate
- All additional support needs provisions based in our primary schools will be closed to all pupils.
- Saltersgate School – is expected to be closed to all pupils
- All local authority early learning and childcare settings will be closed with the exception of Scots Corner and Vogrie nurseries which will operate as normal
- Out of school clubs, breakfast clubs operated by external organisations within primary school buildings should be open as normal unless otherwise advised by the organisation/operator
Wednesday 11 January 2023
- All Midlothian secondary schools are expected to close to all pupils
- All additional support needs provisions based in our secondary schools will be closed to pupils
- Saltersgate School – open to all pupils (primary and secondary)
- All secondary and ASN home to school transport will not operate, except for Saltersgate transport
- Out of school clubs, breakfast clubs operated by external organisations within secondary school buildings should be open as normal unless otherwise advised by the organisation/operator
- Community facilities co-located within a secondary school campus will be open as normal
National negotiations are still ongoing, and if they are able to reach an agreement, it is possible that strike action could be called off. In this event, we will notify you as soon as possible with updates on the council's website and social media.
If the planned strike action goes ahead, the following arrangements will also be in place:
- Pupils will still be able to access learning materials online
- A BACs payment will be made to pupils affected by the strike who are entitled to free school meals (not universal).
We appreciate that further industrial action will cause significant disruption to the learning of our children and young people, and many of you will now need to have alternative arrangements in place during these days. Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience this may cause.