Adult literacy and numeracy
How we can help you
We can help you if you're over 16 and you want to improve your communications skills.
We work with adults who want to improve their everyday skills and become more confident at home or work.
If you live or work in Midlothian we can help you with:
- Spoken language
- General communication
- Number skills.
Getting a qualification
You can also work towards an SQA certificate in:
- Creative writing
- Numeracy / Maths
- Basic IT
- English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL).
Reasons people come to us
Having a literacy or numeracy difficulty can affect people in a number of ways.
There are many reasons people come to us, including:
- Change at work - such as new paperwork or systems
- Becoming a parent or having a child start school
- Retirement or needing to keep up with technology.
Range of classes
Our classes may be for you if you want to:
- Improve your confidence and skills in spelling and writing.
- Improve your reading and understanding of what you read.
- Become more confident in using numbers in everyday life.
- Prepare for a college or training course.
- Feel more confident helping your children with their reading, writing and numbers.
- Improve your English and Maths to help your job prospects.
We run small groups in the community - daytime and evening in a range of venues all over Midlothian.
You tell us what you want to learn and we support you to do this.
How to get in touch
If you would like to come to a class please phone, e-mail or pop into the office and speak to a member of the team.
The full contact details are at the foot of this page.
New students are welcome at any time during the year.
What people have said about us
"I feel more confident to speak out and am able to write things down, using words with more understanding of what they mean"
"Since coming to the everyday maths class I have more confidence within myself and understand more about numbers"
"I feel great now because I have passed an SQA course and got my certificate through the door!"
The above services are provided by MALANI - Midlothian's Adult Literacy, Numeracy and English for Speakers of Other Languages Team.
For more information please contact the office, using the contact details below.