Parks - Straiton Pond Local Nature Reserve
LocationStraiton Pond Local Nature Reserve is a small wildlife haven, set amid rolling farmland, and close to Loanhead and Straiton Retail Park.
The grid reference is NT288648 on OS Land Ranger series 66 Edinburgh Map.
The Midlothian Ranger Service manage countryside and woodland parks.
Designated a Local Nature Reserve in 1991, this hidden gem is a fine example of industrial land reclaimed by nature.
For over a century (1850 - 1950's) the pond was a working clay pit, supplying local brickworks with blue clay. The reserve has changed a good deal since the last clay was extracted, and is now a pretty and peaceful spot for a picnic, stroll or bird watch.
- Open 365 days of the year.
- Limited car parking on the Lang Loan Road.
- Easy circular with a surfaced path to pond and woodland areas.
- Information panels and site leaflet (PDF)
- Special events and activities organised the Ranger Service.
- Free resource boxes are available to all, from the Ranger Service, full of useful equipment to pond dip, mini beast hunt or to explore the nature of the site.
- Free curricular based environmental education activities for schools and groups organised and led by the Ranger Service.
Grid reference (use for sat nav if no postcode)NT 275 666
Is there anything wrong with this page?