Parks - Straiton Pond Local Nature Reserve
LocationStraiton Pond Local Nature Reserve is a small wildlife haven, set amid rolling farmland, and close to Loanhead and Straiton Retail Park.
The grid reference is NT288648 on OS Land Ranger series 66 Edinburgh Map.
Designated a Local Nature Reserve in 1991, this hidden gem is a fine example of industrial land reclaimed by nature.
For over a century (1850 - 1950's) the pond was a working clay pit, supplying local brickworks with blue clay. The reserve has changed a good deal since the last clay was extracted, and is now a pretty and peaceful spot for a picnic, stroll or bird watch.
- Open 365 days of the year.
- Limited car parking on the Lang Loan Road.
- Easy circular with a surfaced path to pond and woodland areas.
- Information panels and site leaflet (PDF)
- Special events and activities organised the Ranger Service.
- Free resource boxes are available to all, from the Ranger Service, full of useful equipment to pond dip, mini beast hunt or to explore the nature of the site.
- Free curricular based environmental education activities for schools and groups organised and led by the Ranger Service.
Grid reference (use for sat nav if no postcode)NT 275 666