Drug and substance abuse services

If you or someone you know has a problem with drugs or substance abuse, you may find help from one of these agencies:

Harm Reduction Team

The Harm Reduction Team provides:

  • Injecting equipment
  • Safer drug use and sexual health advice
  • Low threshold methadone programme for users who might benefit from daily dispensing

How to get this service

Contact the Harm Reduction Team directly. See below for contact details.

Midlothian Substance Misuse Service

The service specialises in the assessment, care and treatments of people who have problems related to alcohol and/or drug use.

The purpose of the SMS is to help people make positive changes to their lives and offer support and guidance

The Midlothian Substance Misuse Service brings together:

  • Nurses
  • Doctors
  • Social Workers
  • Psychologists
  • Occupational Therapists
  • Community Care Assistants
  • Children 1st workers

Services provided by the SMS include:

  • Advice and support to individuals and their families
  • Psychological therapies
  • Community detox
  • Referral for inpatient detox (alcohol)
  • Assessment for residential treatment
  • Substitute prescribing for opiate addiction
  • Advice on harm reduction and relapse prevention techniques
  • Support to access voluntary work/employment/training
  • Practical support for housing and financial issues
  • Referral to and joint working with other specialist agencies

How to get this service

Ask your GP, Social Worker, Support Agency Worker or a Prison Service Officer to refer you to this service.

You may also refer yourself via the Adults and Community Care team.

Other drug support agencies