Our Lord-Lieutenant is Sir Robert M Clerk Bt OBE. He can be contacted via the Clerk to the Lieutenancy.
Her Majesty The Queen appoints the Lord-Lieutenant, and he is Her Majesty's representative in Midlothian. The Lord-Lieutenant stands apart from politics, and the office is unpaid.
- attends and is responsible for arrangements for all Royal visits
- presents medals and awards
- advises on submissions for honours nominations
- prepares the guest list for Royal Garden Parties
- advises on matters concerning the Crown
- maintains close links with the armed forces (regular and territorial) and with cadets.
The Lord-Lieutenant will be interested in all aspects of life in Midlothian - both voluntary and statutory - as well as business, social and cultural, including nominations for the National Honours List and awards.
100th birthdays and wedding anniversaries
The Queen will send a message of congratulations to:
- UK citizens on their 100th and 105th birthdays and every year thereafter.
- Couples celebrating their diamond (60th) wedding anniversary, 65th and 70th anniversaries and every year thereafter.
The Department of Work and Pensions handles notification of birthdays. However, the Queen's attention will have to be drawn to the date of anniversaries.
Vice Lord-Lieutenant and Deputy Lieutenants
The Lord-Lieutenant appoints Deputy Lieutenants, subject only to Her Majesty not disapproving the Commission. The letters 'DL' appear after their names.
The Vice Lord-Lieutenant is appointed by the Lord-Lieutenant from among the Deputies.
- Lt Col Richard Callander OBE Vice Lord-Lieutenant
- Mr David Bowes-Lyon DL
- Mrs Julia Lorrain-Smith DL
- Lord Dalmeny DL
- Mr Gregor C Murray DL
- Mrs Sarah Barron DL
- Mr G Henry Duncan DL
- Mr Ian Gardner DL