Lord–Lieutenant of Midlothian
His Majesty's Lord-Lieutenant of Midlothian is Lieutenant Colonel Richard Callander LVO OBE TD, who was appointed in April 2020.
The role of the Lord-Lieutenant
The Lord-Lieutenant acts as His Majesty The King's personal representative in Midlothian, and his role is impartial and non-political.
The Lord-Lieutenant seeks to foster a spirit of cooperation between voluntary, benevolent and business organisations within Midlothian, and takes an active interest in the social and cultural life of the county.
The office is unpaid and the age of retirement is 75.
In addition his major responsibilities are:
- To arrange and organise official royal visits by any member of the Royal Family to Midlothian.
- To promote the work of The Midlothian Lieutenancy across the county and within the local community.
- To advise and nominate people, from within the Midlothian community for honours, awards and attendance at the annual Royal Garden Party.
- To propose appropriate organisations for The Queen’s (King's) Award for Voluntary Service and for The Queen’s (King's) Award for Enterprise.
- To represent The King at British Citizenship ceremonies.
- To attend and lay a wreath on behalf of The King at a service of remembrance.
- To present congratulatory messages from The King and Queen Consort to those celebrating special 100th birthdays and diamond wedding anniversaries.
- To develop close links with local units of the Armed Services and their associated cadet forces.
Contact with the Lord-Lieutenant is through the Clerk to the Lieutenancy. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 0131 271 3002.
Vice Lord-Lieutenants and Deputy Lieutenants
The Lord-Lieutenant is supported by a Vice Lord-Lieutenant, Mrs Sarah Barron, and a number of Deputy Lieutenants, appointed by the Lord-Lieutenant. They assist in the performance of public duties in Midlothian. They also provide local knowledge in a part of the community they know well.
In Midlothian they are:
- Lord Dalmeny DL
- Mr Gregor Murray DL
- Mr G. Henry Duncan DL
- Mr Ian Gardner DL
- Mr John Dryden DL
- Ms Rachel Oliphant DL
- Mrs Harriet Dalrymple DL
Honours and awards
The British Honours System offers public recognition to people in all walks of life and across all sections of society, who have given exceptional service and made a significant difference to their community or to the country.
The King's Honours List is published at New Year and later in the year on The King's official birthday.
If you are aware of someone whom you feel may be a candidate for an honours nomination, contact the Clerk to the Lieutenancy who will advise you.
- Email email@example.com or call 0131 271 3002.
Remembrance Sunday in Midlothian
Remembrance Sunday is marked by ceremonies at local war memorials, and in towns and villages across the county. Civic dignitaries and members of the Royal British Legion and other veterans' organisations attend. The Lord-Lieutenant, the Vice Lord-Lieutenant and all Deputy Lieutenants lead the procession, laying a wreath of poppies first on behalf of The King.
The Queen’s (King's) Award for Voluntary Service
The Queen’s (King's) Award for Voluntary Service is the highest award given to local voluntary groups across the UK, recognising outstanding work carried out in our communities.
Any group of 2 or more people can be nominated, that:
- has been running for at least 3 years
- has been voluntarily providing a local social, economic and environmental service.
Anyone can nominate a group for the Queen's (King's) Award online. You don't have to be part of the group, and full guidance is provided.
The Queen’s (King's) Award for Enterprise
The Queen’s (King's) Awards for Enterprise are given for outstanding achievement by UK businesses in the categories of:
- International trade
- Sustainable development
- Promoting opportunity through social mobility.
100th birthday and special wedding anniversaries
One of the Lord-Lieutenant's enjoyable roles is to present messages of congratulations from His Majesty The King to those celebrating their 100th Birthdays, and special 60th, 65th and 70th wedding anniversaries.
A member of the family should notify the Clerk to the Lieutenancy or Midlothian Council of the impending birthday or anniversary. A birthday or an anniversary card will then be sent from The King.
If the family so wish, the Lord-Lieutenant or one of his Deputies will be delighted to visit those celebrating their special day, and present messages of congratulations personally on behalf of The King. There is no charge for this service.
If your organisation wishes to invite a member of the Royal Family, do so through the Lord-Lieutenant via the Clerk of the Lieutenancy.
The Lord-Lieutenant considers all invitations. He will work with the host organisation on a draft programme for approval by the Royal Household, and will take the lead in co-ordinating with the police and the event organisers.
Civic, voluntary and social activities in Midlothian
The Lord-Lieutenant is involved in many civic and social duties within the county, throughout the year, such as Armed Forces Week.
British Citizenship Awards
The Lord-Lieutenant or one of his Deputy Lieutenants often presents British Citizenship Awards to people who are now naturalized in the UK, and living or working in Midlothian. The award ceremony is held at Fairfield House in Dalkeith, and is usually attended by the Provost of Midlothian.
Midlothian's Young People Awards
Each year the Lord-Lieutenant and Midlothian Council together promote Midlothian's Young People Awards. These recognise and celebrate the achievements of Midlothian people aged from 8 to 26. There are 6 categories of Award that reflect the diverse activities of young people that benefit Midlothian in many ways.
Help us improve our siteHaving problems submitting this form?
- Financial statement - notice of public inspection
- EMPPO Learning and Development Strategy and Associated Training (IIA)
- 2018-2028 Capital Investment Strategy
- Childrens Services Service Plans
- Complaints Handling Procedure
- Volunteers' Week template
- Place Service Plans
- Corporate Solutions Service Plans