Education Maintenance Allowance (EMA)
Applications are now closed for 2020/21.
Please check this website from August 2021 for when to apply for 2021/22.
The Education Maintenance Allowance (EMA) is:
- for students from low-income families, who are in full-time education after the statutory school leaving age.
- for students attending full time and part time non-advanced college education
- a means tested weekly allowance based on school attendance.
- £30 per week, paid fortnightly into the student's bank account. Payments are only made when students have 100% weekly attendance.
Full details are on the EMA Scotland website.
Who can apply
Qualifying students must be:
- over 16 on 1 March and stay on at school from August
- from households with one dependent child and annual income under £24,421
- or from households with more than one dependent child and annual income under £26,884
If you are leaving school to attend a Further Education College, please apply directly to the college.
If you attend a school outside Midlothian, contact the local authority where the school is located.