Education Maintenance Allowance (EMA)
The Education Maintenance Allowance (EMA) is:
- for students from low-income families, who are in full-time education after the statutory school leaving age.
- for students attending full time and part time non-advanced college education
- a means tested weekly allowance based on school attendance.
- £30 per week, paid fortnightly into the student's bank account. Payments are only made when students have 100% weekly attendance.
Full details are on the EMA Scotland website.
Who can apply
Midlothian secondary schools issue application forms in mid June to students with the relevant date of birth. Outwith this period you can ask for a form directly from the school office.
Qualifying students must be:
- over 16 on 1 March 2016 and stay on at school from August 2016
- from households with one dependent child and annual income under £24,421
- or from households with more than one dependent child and annual income under £26,884
Please return completed forms, with supporting evidence, to EMA Section, Fairfield House, Dalkeith, EH22 3ZG.
Full details of application submission deadlines are on page 2 of the application form.
Students leaving school and attending a Further Education College should apply directly to the college.
Students who attend schools outside Midlothian should contact the local authority where the school is located.