Education Maintenance Allowance (EMA)
Applications are closed for the school year 2019/2020.
The Education Maintenance Allowance (EMA) is:
- for students from low-income families, who are in full-time education after the statutory school leaving age.
- for students attending full time and part time non-advanced college education
- a means tested weekly allowance based on school attendance.
- £30 per week, paid fortnightly into the student's bank account. Payments are only made when students have 100% weekly attendance.
Full details are on the EMA Scotland website.
Who can apply
Qualifying students must be:
- over 16 on 1 March and stay on at school from August
- from households with one dependent child and annual income under £24,421
- or from households with more than one dependent child and annual income under £26,884
Midlothian secondary schools issue application forms in mid June to students with the relevant date of birth. Outwith this period you can ask for a form directly from the school office.
Please return completed forms, with supporting evidence, to:
Submission deadlines are on page 2 of the application form.
If you are leaving school to attend a Further Education College, please apply directly to the college.
If you attend a school outside Midlothian, contact the local authority where the school is located.