Education Maintenance Allowance (EMA)
Applications are now open for 2020/21.
The Education Maintenance Allowance (EMA) is:
- for students from low-income families, who are in full-time education after the statutory school leaving age.
- for students attending full time and part time non-advanced college education
- a means tested weekly allowance based on school attendance.
- £30 per week, paid fortnightly into the student's bank account. Payments are only made when students have 100% weekly attendance.
Full details are on the EMA Scotland website.
Who can apply
Qualifying students must be:
- over 16 on 1 March and stay on at school from August
- from households with one dependent child and annual income under £24,421
- or from households with more than one dependent child and annual income under £26,884
If you are leaving school to attend a Further Education College, please apply directly to the college.
If you attend a school outside Midlothian, contact the local authority where the school is located.
How to apply
Email completed form with scanned/screenshot evidence to:
Advice for mobile / tablet users
Please use Adobe Acrobat Reader (free download from your app store) to open the form which should allow you to complete and save it ready to email.
- 30 September 2020: final date for applications to be in for August intake to be eligible for back payment to the beginning of term
- 28 February 2021: final date for applications to be in for January intake to be eligible for back payment to the beginning of term
- 31 March 2021: closing date for all applications for the academic year 2020/21
- View EMA payment schedule (PDF)