Education Maintenance Allowance (EMA)
Applications are now open for 2022/23.
The Education Maintenance Allowance (EMA) is:
- for students from low-income families, who are in full-time education after the statutory school leaving age.
- for students attending full time and part time non-advanced college education
- a means tested weekly allowance based on school attendance.
- £30 per week, paid fortnightly into the student's bank account. Payments are only made when students have 100% of agreed weekly attendance.
Full details are on the EMA Scotland website.
Who can apply
Qualifying students must be:
- over 16 on 1 March and stay on at school from August
- from households with one dependent child and annual income under £24,421
- or from households with more than one dependent child and annual income under £26,884
If you are leaving school to attend a Further Education College, please apply directly to the college.
If you attend a school outside Midlothian, contact the local authority where the school is located.
Important: please follow this advice to reduce the risks of sending personal information by email:
- Do not use a shared device to send your email.
- Do not use an unsecured or public WiFi network to send your email.
- Before sending, double check the email address you are sending to is email@example.com
- After sending, delete your personal documents from your sent email.
Is there anything wrong with this page?