Employability support and guidance
Communities, Lifelong Learning and Employability provide a variety of employability support for Midlothian residents, including:
- Accredited courses; National 5 Maths, National 5 Early Learning and Childcare, National Progression Award in Customer Service and Employability Award Level 3 & 4
- Online job clubs
- Digital skills for employment
- 1 to 1 support with CVs, interview techniques, online applications and job searching.
For more information about any of the above matters please get in touch.
My World of Work
- Explore your career options
- Find out about learning and training
- Get help with finding a job or volunteering.
SDS Individual Training Accounts (ITAs)
Skills Development Scotland (SDS) have stated that there are limited places available for the year 2020-21.
- You may be eligible to get up to £200 towards the costs of training through an Individual Training Account (ITA).
- You must have an income of £22,000 a year or less, or be on certain benefits to be eligible.
- ITAs are available in Midlothian for developing skills to support you in work.
- The course fee is paid through the ITA and you don't have to pay it back.
Employability and Learning Directory
The Employability and Learning Directory is a simple guide to a wide range of services which provide learning, training and employability options for people living in Midlothian.
You can use the directory to look for work, training or support with any employment-related matter. Service providers can also use it to help them refer clients to the most appropriate sources of support.
Recruitment and Skills Centre
The Recruitment and Skills Centre (RSC) at Fort Kinnaird shopping centre supports jobseekers to gain and retain employment. It works in partnership with other agencies (including Midlothian Council) to provide a service throughout Edinburgh, Midlothian and local areas.
This service includes maintaining a current list of local vacancies. RSC also supports jobseekers, such as help to create and update CVs, complete application forms and get access to information and events.
For more information about any of the above matters please get in touch using the contact details below.
Careers in childcare
Many more staff will be needed in childcare.
Transferable Skills Academy
The Edinburgh and South East Scotland City Region Deal has launched a new Transferable Skills Academy. Its aim is to focus on transferable skills which can be applied to people in priority groups to help them into work. The first course has been developed in partnership with Midlothian Council.
A key part of The Transferable Skills Academy is a week-long customer service course. This is accredited by the Scottish Qualifications Authority (SQA), supplemented with employability support.
Find out more in our short video here.
- Find out more about the City Region Deal Integrated Regional Employability and Skills (IRES) Programme
- Email CLL@midlothian.gov.uk if you interested in finding out more about the Transferable Skills Academy