Careers in early learning and childcare
Many more staff will be needed in childcare beyond 2020. This is to meet the Scottish Government’s commitment to increase funded early learning from 600 hours a year to 1,140 by 2020 for 3 and 4 year-olds and some 2 year-olds.
- Find out about career paths to childcare across Scotland
- More information from the Scottish Social Services Council
How to get a qualification in Midlothian
- Gain skills and knowledge to prepare you for a career in early learning by studying childcare courses at Edinburgh College, which has a campus at Eskbank.
- Opportunities including short courses at Edinburgh-based charity, Men in Childcare.
Careers for men in childcare
Men in Childcare is a charity offering support, including financial help, to encourage men to take up careers in childcare.
This video features Keith Lorimer, Childcare development worker at Mauricewood Primary. Keith was helped by Men in Childcare.
Modern Apprenticeship (MA)
- We will be recruiting Modern Apprentices in Early Learning & Childcare at SVQ3. The jobs will be advertised on MyJobScotland.
- MAs with other organisations, including private nurseries, are advertised on Skills Development Scotland’s My World of Work.
We will be offering work experience placements in our nurseries to school leavers. They will be advertised on The Guarantee which helps you find a job, work placement or further education course.
Become a childminder
Early level courses for parents and carers
Our Lifelong Learning and Employability (LLE) team runs courses for parents and carers that could lead into a career in early learning and childcare.
Peep - Learning Together Programme
Peep is free, one hour weekly groups for parents and carers and their children, from pre-birth to 5 years.
Some groups offer parents/carers the chance to gain a qualification for their role in helping their children’s learning. This is an informal, 12 week course which parents/carers attend with their child. It can lead to a Scottish Qualifications Authority National 3, 4 or 5 qualification.