Jobs and vocational training for young people
The Young Person’s Guarantee
The Young Person’s Guarantee is funded through the Scottish Government to provide flexible, person-centred employability support and training to young people aged 16 to 24 who are:
- Unemployed (excluding those in full time education)
- About to leave school without a positive destination
- A school leaver without a positive destination
- In low paid employment
- At risk of redundancy
- At risk of losing an apprenticeship
- Leaving training, volunteering, college or university without a positive destination
- Without qualifications at SCQF Level 5 or above
The aim is to ensure that all young people in Scotland have the chance to succeed, despite the economic impacts of coronavirus, with a guaranteed opportunity of work, education or training.
Developing The Young Workforce (DYW)
Get help finding a job, Modern Apprenticeship, training or college courses in the Lothians.
Foundation Apprenticeships are two year courses open to pupils in S5 and S6. They help young people gain valuable, real-world work experience and access vocational training while they're still at school.
My World of Work
Find job and career opportunities across Scotland.
Consider a career in childcare
By 2020, there will be many more staff needed in nurseries and other early learning settings such as childminders. This is because the number of funded hours eligible two-year-olds and all three and four-year-olds is almost doubling to 1140 hours.
Further jobs and training support
Do you need help to develop your skills, find a job or get work experience?
- Are you in S2 to S6 at a Midlothian school?
- Are you aged 16 - 19 years, left school and living in Midlothian?
- Are you not currently in a job, education or training but looking for work?
- Do you need work experience to get that first step on the career ladder?
We can help you prepare for the transition from school into the world of work, education or training.
Do you have a disability or medical condition?
If a disability or health problems are holding you back from getting a job, training or volunteering, our FOCUS team may be able to help.
FOCUS is a free service for people in Midlothian aged from 16-64 years.