Starting a new food business

This is to help if you are considering setting up a new food business or taking over an existing one. It is not meant to be a statement of the law.

When you start thinking about your food business, we can help with business planning, funding, employment, premises and tax issues.

For general advice and support visit the Business Gateway website.

Check with your Planning and Building Standards Officers

If the place you have in mind has not been a food business before, contact our Development Management unit for help with planning permission.

If you plan on doing work on the building, contact our Building Standards unit about building regulations.

Register your business

You must register your food business at least 28 days before you open.

Register your food business

Selling alcohol

If you plan on selling alcohol at your business, you will need a licence.

Apply for an alcohol licence