Midlothian Ranger Service
We organise and lead free curriculum based education for schools and groups. We teach and inspire pupils about nature, their local environment and the world around them.
This is based on the Curriculum for Excellence from the Early through to the Senior phase:
- Science (Body and Systems; Planet Earth)
- Social Science (People, Past Events and Society; People, Place and Environment)
- Health and Wellbeing.
- Numeracy and literacy
- Topical Science issues.
Are you studying a particular topic or project? Let us know and we can tailor our activities to your needs. All activities are free, can be site based or in your local environment.
Nursery and early years
- Nature and history walks
- Exploring the seasons
- Identifying and using senses
- Mini-beast hunting
- Naming basic plants and animals
- Pond and river system studies
- Woodland and invertebrate studies
- Habitat and biodiversity of your school grounds and local area
- Landscape studies (basic human and physical geography)
- Local history guided walks incorporating industrial and cultural heritage.
- Geography and biology field studies including techniques for covering:
- Land use and conservation management
- River systems and woodland ecology
We can also advise and assist with Advanced Higher projects.
We have 3 resource boxes which are free to borrow. These allow teachers to lead environmental activities themselves. They cover pond and river dipping, woodlands and mini-beasts, environmental games, and include bug boxes, nets, trays, ID keys books etc.
We can arrange training days to teachers interested in developing topics and activities based in the countryside.
To make an education booking, arrange a school or site visit, borrow equipment or to discuss topic options, please contact us.
- Sessions are normally 1 ½ - 2 hours
- Each Ranger will work with a maximum of 15 pupils
- Pupils must be supervised by a responsible adult
- There is limited wet weather shelter at all sites
- Toilet facilities are only available at Vogrie Country Park
Midlothian schools have priority as long as you call us within the first 3 weeks of term. After this, we open our bookings diary to all schools. Please book early as we get fully booked quickly.
Once we have arranged the location and study topic, you will receive a booking form. You should return this at least a week before your visit.