Claim compensation as a survivor of child abuse

Make a civil claim

Survivors of child abuse can make a civil claim for damages if the abuse happened after, and including, 26 September 1964.

Advance payment scheme

Certain survivors of childhood abuse can now apply for an advance payment.

Applicants can also phone a free telephone support line:

  • 0808 169 9740

Key points of the scheme:

  • It is open to those who have a terminal illness or are aged 70 or over
  • Applicants do not need to prove abuse
  • Applicants need to prove, by documentary evidence, they were “in care” in Scotland before December 2004
  • Details of what comprises ‘in care’ are on the Scottish Government link
  • Payments are on a flat rate of £10,000

Data protection

Your information will be treated as confidential. As an authority that handles personal information on individuals, we must protect that information under the Data Protection Act 2018.

Support groups that can help