Help prevent terrorism and extremism and save lives
If you are concerned that someone you know may be at risk of getting involved in terrorism, don’t rely on others to report it.
Please report any concerns you have about anyone, adult or child, who you think may be vulnerable to being drawn into extremism. You can help us prevent terrorism and save lives.
How to spot the signs
There is no single type of person likely to become involved in terrorism or extremism and the process of radicalisation is different for every individual. You can get information on what some of these signs might look like by visiting the Let’s Talk About It website.
How to report concerns
- Contact Police Scotland: call 101
- Report your concerns anonymously to CrimeStoppers on 0800 555 111
- Call the Anti-Terrorist Hotline on 0800 789 321
- Contact Midlothian Council Prevent Single Point of Contact (SPOC)
- Email: PreventSPOC@midlothian.gov.uk (office hours)
- Telephone: 0131 271 3721 or 0131 271 3729 (office hours)
- If you are a young person in education, talk to a member of staff at your school or college
- If it is an emergency, always dial 999 and ask for Police.
We recognise that reporting this type of concern may be difficult, so please be assured that your concern will be handled in confidence by professionals who are trained in public protection.
What happens next?
The Midlothian Council Prevent SPOC will make enquiries based on the information you supply, and will discuss a plan of action. They might decide to hold a meeting of the confidential Prevent Multi Agency Panel (PMAP).
The PMAP can help people make positive choices about their lives to divert them from negative extremist influence and potential criminality. This group aims to provide:
- early intervention measures that support people who are at risk of radicalisation
- practical support tailored to the needs of the individual.
More information on the Prevent strategy
The strategy aims to reduce the threat to the UK from terrorism, by stopping people becoming terrorists or supporting terrorism.