Early learning, nurseries and childcare
Age 3 and 4
A child joins a nursery school or class a month after their 3rd birthday, as long as they were added to the waiting list aged 2.
It is not practical to admit children to a local authority Early Learning and Childcare setting in December or June.
- Children born in November start in January.
- Children born in May start in August.
How to apply
All early learning and childcare providers deal with their own applications for 3 and 4 year olds. Contact the nursery, partnership centre or provider to apply.
- Primary schools that offer nursery classes
- Directory of early learning and childcare for 3-4 year olds
- Playgroups for 2-5 year olds
- Search for childminders (Scottish Family Information Service)
- Find a care service (Care Inspectorate)