Apply for a school place
For a nursery school/class
Contact the school after your child's second birthday to place them on the waiting list. There are no catchment areas for nursery schools/classes.
For Primary 1
- Your child can start school in August 2022 if their fifth birthday is between 1 March 2022 and 28 February 2023.
- If your child is due to start Primary 1 in August 2022, they must be registered at their catchment school by the end of November 2021.
- If a child is not registered in time, we cannot guarantee them a place at their catchment school.
- Registration and placing request forms will be online from 22 November 2021. Or you can download forms to complete on paper from this date.
How to apply for a primary school
- Register a pupil at your catchment school for August 2022
- Directory of primary schools in Midlothian
For Secondary 1
You will automatically receive confirmation of your child's catchment secondary school by the end of November if your child is:
- in Primary 7
- living in Midlothian
- attending a Midlothian primary school.
You need do nothing else if you want your child to attend the catchment secondary school. You can request a non catchment place online.
Registering after the start of the school year
To register a pupil into P1 or S1 after the start of the school year and at all other stages, contact the school in writing. The Head Teacher will check the roll/class composition and establish if there is a place.
This applies to both catchment and non-catchment schools.