Deferred entry to primary school
Most parents choose to send their child to school as soon as they are eligible.
However, if your child's 5th birthday is between:
- the start of the school session in August
- and the end of the following February,
you may apply to defer their start at school until the following August. Use the forms below.
If your child's 5th birthday is:
- in January or February, you are guaranteed a funded early learning and childcare place until August. This will be in either a Midlothian Council or a Funded Provider setting.
- between the start of the school session in August and the end of December, you are not automatically entitled to a funded early learning and childcare place. See section 3 of the guidance document (PDF).
To find out more about the deferral process, read the guidance for deferred entry to primary school (PDF).
Apply for a deferred place
- Apply for deferred entry - August to December birthdays (PDF)
- Apply for deferred entry - January and February birthdays (PDF)
- Retained entry application form (PDF)