Apply for a school place
For Primary 1
- Your child can start school in August 2024 if their fifth birthday is between 1 March 2023 and 29 February 2025.
- If your child is due to start Primary 1 in August 2024, they must be registered at their catchment school.
- Letters were sent on 6 November 2023 for children attending a Midlothian Council funded Early Learning setting or partnership nursery. The letter confirmed your catchment school.
If your letter did not arrive, or your child does not attend a Midlothian Council funded setting or nursery, email firstname.lastname@example.org. Tell us:
- the child’s full name
- date of birth
- the name of Early Years setting or nursery they attend.
How to apply for a primary school
Once you have registered with your catchment school, if you want your child to attend a non-catchment school, you can request a non catchment place.
For Secondary 1
You will automatically receive confirmation of your child's catchment secondary school by the end of November, if your child is:
- in Primary 7
- living in Midlothian
- attending a Midlothian primary school.
You need do nothing else if you want your child to attend the catchment secondary school.
If you want your child to attend a non catchment school, you can request a non catchment place.
From August 2024
To register a pupil into P1 or S1 after the start of the school year, and at all other stages, contact the school in writing. The Head Teacher will check the roll/class composition and establish if there is a place.
For a nursery school/class
To place your child on the waiting list for their entitlement from when they turn three, contact the school after their second birthday. There are no catchment areas for nursery schools/classes.
Meeting future demand
Midlothian has the fastest growing population of any local authority in Scotland, particularly in the early years and school age population. We continue preparing to meet future demand for local services, including education.
Building more schools and extending existing ones is necessary to meet this growth. Therefore school catchment areas may change during this growth period.
If you need clarification on any reviews of catchments areas before you make a placement request: