Apply for a school place
Please read our update of 24 April 2020 about what we are doing to make sure your child or young person has a positive experience when moving to an early learning setting, primary or secondary school or leaving school during the Covid-19 outbreak.
For a nursery school/class
Contact the school after your child's second birthday to place them on the waiting list. There are no catchment areas for nursery schools/classes.
For Primary 1
- Your child can start school in August 2020 if their fifth birthday is between 1 March 2020 and 28 February 2021.
- If your child is due to start Primary 1 in August 2020, they must be registered at their catchment school by the end of November 2019.
- If not, we cannot guarantee your child a place at their catchment school.
How to apply for a primary school
You should register your child at their catchment school (non-denominational or Roman Catholic).
- your child's birth certificate
- and proof of address, such as:
- Council Tax notice
- recent gas, electricity, or telephone bill (landline, not mobile) with your name and address printed on it.
For Secondary 1
You will automatically receive confirmation of your child's catchment secondary school by the end of November if your child is:
- in Primary 7
- living in Midlothian
- attending a Midlothian primary school.
You need do nothing else if you want your child to attend the catchment secondary school.
Registering after the start of the school year
To register a pupil into P1 or S1 after the start of the school year and at all other stages, contact the school in writing. The Head Teacher will check the roll/class composition and establish if there is a place.
This applies to both catchment and non-catchment schools.