Apply for a school place
Decisions on school places for August 2023
We have completed the initial round of school allocations for P1 and S1 places starting in August 2023.
- Letters confirming the school allocations for P1s in August 2023 were posted on 13 April 2023.
- Letters detailing the outcome of Placing Requests for P1 and S1 for August 2023 were posted on 13 April 2023.
- The S1 catchment places notified in your letter of November 2022 are now confirmed. You will not receive a further letter unless you made a placing request.
- Registrations and placing requests received after 15 March 2023 will be answered at a later date.
All letters will be delivered by Friday 21 April 2023. Please contact us after this date if you have not received your letter.
For a nursery school/class
To place your child on the waiting list for their entitlement from when they turn three, contact the school after their second birthday. There are no catchment areas for nursery schools/classes.
For Primary 1
- Your child can start school in August 2023 if their fifth birthday is between 1 March 2023 and 29 February 2024.
- If your child is due to start Primary 1 in August 2023, they must be registered at their catchment school by the end of November 2022.
- Letters were sent on 11 November 2022 for those children that attend a Midlothian Council funded Early Learning setting or partnership nursery. The letter will confirm which are your catchment schools.
If your letter does not arrive by 18 November 2022, or your child does not attend a Midlothian Council funded setting or nursery, email firstname.lastname@example.org. Tell us:
- the child’s full name
- date of birth
- the name of Early Years setting or nursery they attend.
How to apply for a primary school
- Register online.
- Once you have registered, if you want your child to attend a non-catchment school, you can request a non catchment place.
- Directory of primary schools in Midlothian
For Secondary 1
You will automatically receive confirmation of your child's catchment secondary school by the end of November, if your child is:
- in Primary 7
- living in Midlothian
- attending a Midlothian primary school.
You need do nothing else if you want your child to attend the catchment secondary school.
If you want your child to attend a non catchment school, you can request a non catchment place.