Apply for a school place
For a nursery school/class
Contact the school after your child's second birthday to place them on the waiting list. There are no catchment areas for nursery schools/classes.
For Primary 1
- Your child can start school in August 2023 if their fifth birthday is between 1 March 2023 and 29 February 2024.
- Registration for P1 at your catchment school will be in November 2022. The exact date that registration will open will be on this page.
How to apply for a primary school
- Online registration is not yet open for August 2023.
- Directory of primary schools in Midlothian
For Secondary 1
You will automatically receive confirmation of your child's catchment secondary school by the end of November if your child is:
- in Primary 7
- living in Midlothian
- attending a Midlothian primary school.
You need do nothing else if you want your child to attend the catchment secondary school. You can request a non catchment place online.
Registering after the start of the school year
To register a pupil into P1 or S1 after the start of the school year and at all other stages, contact the school in writing. The Head Teacher will check the roll/class composition and establish if there is a place.
This applies to both catchment and non-catchment schools.