Benefit fraud investigation
Reporting benefit fraud
Midlothian Council works with the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) to investigate benefit fraud.
If you have any concerns that relate to a fraudulently obtained Housing Benefit or DWP state benefit there are a number of ways you can tell us:
- online www.gov.uk/report-benefit-fraud
- call the National Fraud hotline number 0800 854 440
- write to: NBFH, PO Box 224, Preston, PR1 1GP
The information you provide is strictly confidential.
The more information you give us, the more likely the investigation will result in a positive outcome.
Remember, if you are a taxpayer, it is your money that pays for services and benefits. Benefit fraud is stealing and we are committed to reducing it but need your help.
Examples of someone committing benefit fraud:
- working but not declaring this when claiming benefit
- claiming as a single person but living with a partner
- claiming from an address but not living there
- not declaring us the full amount of income, savings or capital when claiming benefit
- claiming when, for any reason, they have no right to claim Housing Benefit or DWP state benefits