Support for deaf or blind people

Deaf and hearing impaired services

In partnership with Deaf Action, we support people of all ages who are affected by deafness or hearing impairment.

  • Services for deaf and hearing-impaired schoolchildren
  • Communication Support
  • BSL/English interpretation, lip speakers, note-takers, deaf blind interpretation.
  • Assessment and ongoing social work support

Deaf Action's social work team offer a statutory social work assessment using the principles of SDS (Self Directed Support), to create a care plan agreed by you, your family and or carers ( where appropriate).

  • Assessing your needs
  • Self directed support in Midlothian
  • All social workers are registered with the Scottish Social Services Council, and have specialist training and/or experience in working with deaf and hearing impaired people.
  • Specialist equipment - we will provide information and advice, installation, maintenance and repair of specialist equipment deemed necessary following assessment.
  • Visiting outreach support service - a home based individual support to promote independent living, covering a range of practical, financial, social, health and wellbeing issues.

More support

You can refer yourself to Deaf Action for help:

  • Head Office: 49 Albany Street, Edinburgh, EH1 3QY
  • phone 0131 556 3128
  • text phone 0131 557 0419
  • fax 0131 557 8283 or
  • sms 07775 620 757

Hearing Aid Repair Service

If you have a hearing aid that needs repaired or serviced, the NHS Lothian Adult Audiology team at Lauriston can arrange for any work required to be carried out at Midlothian Community Hospital.

Call them directly on 0131 536 1637, and ask for an appointment for the hearing aid repairs clinic at Midlothian Community Hospital.

Batteries and hearing tests

Batteries for hearing aids are available from Midlothian libraries.

If you require a hearing test or anything we are unable to help with please contact Audiology on 0131 536 1637 or email

Audiology can also be contacted for any urgent repairs and advice, including to request batteries be sent out by post.

Hearing aid clinics in Dalkeith and Penicuik are closed until further notice.

Contact us

More information