If you are homeless, or at risk of homelessness, contact Midlothian Council's Homelessness Unit:
1 White Hart Street
You can also:
- call 0131 271 3397
- or if our office is closed, call our out of hours team on 0131 663 7211
- email [email protected]
If you present yourself as homeless, we will assess your situation. If you:
- have nowhere to stay, you will be given emergency accommodation at once and a homeless interview the same day, or the next working day if it is after office hours.
- are homeless but have somewhere to stay temporarily, you will be offered a homeless interview within three working days.
Legislation says that you are homeless if you:
- have no accommodation that you are legally entitled to occupy
- cannot reasonably live in your accommodation
- cannot gain entry to your accommodation
- face violence/harassment
- don't have permission to stay there, or family or friends you have been staying with have asked you to leave
- live in a place like a houseboat or caravan, and there is nowhere for you to place it and live in it
- are going to lose your accommodation within 2 months.
Our Housing Officers decide whether you are homeless by legal definition. We will ask:
- Are you homeless, or about to become homeless?
- Are you intentionally homeless?
- Do you have a local connection within Midlothian?
Your homelessness/advice officer will tell you about the assessment process. A decision will be made within 28 days and you will be informed in writing.
For more information on homelessness in Scotland, see the Shelter Scotland website.