If non-domestic (business) properties are unoccupied, we can grant 50% relief of rates for a maximum of 3 months. When properties remain empty longer than 3 months, 90% of the property charge is billed.
If an Industrial Building with no retail element is unoccupied, the Council can grant 100% relief for a maximum of 6 months. When the properties remain empty longer than 6 months a 90% charge is then billed.
Certain categories may be exempt from the 90% property charge. These are:
- properties which are listed buildings or have a preservation order
- properties with a rateable value of less than £1,700
- properties where the person entitled to possession is a trust for sequestration, liquidation or executors
- industrial properties, with no retail element
- properties prohibited by law from occupation
- properties which are under compulsory purchase
Before 1 April 2013 the relief awarded would have been 50% rather than 10% as before.
We can only give an exemption if you have already told us that your property is unoccupied. Please complete the empty property relief application form.