Travel pass photos
Rules for supplying a photo
For each travel card, you must supply one photo. If your photo doesn't meet the standards on this page, we may reject your application for a card.
Renewing or replacing a card
Blue Badge and National Entitlement Card (bus pass):
- A new photo is not needed for a replacement card.
- For a card renewal, we don’t always insist on a new photo, although it’s better to supply a new one. Bear in mind that parking attendants or bus drivers may challenge its validity if your appearance has changed.
Ring & Go card:
- We need a fresh photo for every card we issue, whether it’s new, a replacement or a renewal.
Your photo must be:
- clear and in focus
- printed to a professional standard
- taken within the last 12 months
- in colour, on plain white photographic paper, with no border
- taken against a plain cream or light grey background
- without any creases or tears
- unmarked on the front
- for a Young Scot card, countersigned on the back
- with your firstname and surname in capital letters on the back
- unaltered by computer software.
What your photo must show
Your photo must:
- be a close-up of your full head and upper shoulders
- contain no other objects or people
- be in clear contrast to the background
In your photo, you must:
- be facing forward and looking straight at the camera
- have a neutral expression and your mouth closed (no grinning or smiling)
- have your eyes open, visible and free from reflection or glare from glasses
- not have hair in front of your eyes
- not have a head covering (unless for religious or medical reasons)
- not have anything covering your face
- not have any ‘red eye’
- not have any shadows on your face or behind you
- not wear sunglasses or tinted glasses.
You can wear your usual glasses, but your eyes must show fully, without glare or reflections.
Your photo must measure 45mm high by 35mm wide. This is the standard size used in UK photo booths.
It must not be a cropped version of a larger picture.
The image of you - from the crown of your head to your chin - must be between 29mm and 34mm high.
Photos of children
- must be alone in the picture
- under 6 need not be looking directly at the camera, nor have a neutral expression
- must not hold toys or wear a dummy.
Photo dos and don'ts
Is there anything wrong with this page?