Early learning, nurseries and childcare
Age 2 to 3
When your child reaches the age of 2, you can add them to the waiting list of the early learning or nursery class of your choice. They will take up an available place a month after their 3rd birthday.
Contact the nursery directly. Your first choice may not be available, but a place is guaranteed as long as you live in Midlothian.
- Search for childminders (Scottish Family Information Service)
- Find a care service (Care Inspectorate)
- For a list of childminders who provide places for 2 year olds, email Pupil Placement.
A Good Time To Be 2 - free childcare for qualifying families
The 'Good Time To Be 2' scheme offers up to 600 hours of free early learning and childcare per year, from the month after the child's 2nd birthday.
- Your child will enjoy a range of play experiences to support their learning and development.
- Staff will be there to discuss your child’s interests and development with you.
- Opportunities to share learning from home and be involved in your child’s learning in the setting.
- Support with your child’s transition to nursery and sharing their previous learning with their new setting.
Where your child can learn
Who is eligible
Your child will be eligible if you, as their parent/carer, receive certain benefits. Please read our leaflet, or visit the Early Learning and Child Care website for more information.
If you are not sure whether you qualify, contact Pupil Placement:
- 0131 271 3733
You may apply for:
- at least 5 hours per week. This consists of:
- 2 sessions of 2 and a half hours
- up to 15 hours 50 minutes per week
- no session lasting more than eight hours.
- This must be for at least 38 weeks per year, but does not need to be only in term time.
Sessions are subject to availability. Some centres may operate set hours.
How to apply
A child becomes eligible from:
- the month after their 2nd birthday, or
- the first month after you - their parent/carer - meet the conditions.
If you think you may be eligible, please apply straight away.
Complete the "A good time to be 2" application form (Word) and return it to the address on the form, with:
- child's birth certificate or passport
- proof of address, such as council tax notice, child benefit letter or utility bill
- proof of benefits
You can also get the form from providers, and from reception at Midlothian House, Buccleuch House or Fairfield House in Dalkeith. Providers can help fill in the form, or you can get help at Fairfield House.
What happens next
- The council will write to you and the provider, to confirm if the child is eligible.
- When you get the letter, please contact the provider directly to confirm a start date and sessions the child will attend.
- The provider will contact the council to confirm the start date and sessions agreed.