Free school meals and clothing grants
Free school meals and clothing grants update
Last updated: 2 December 2021
- Payments are only to parents/carers where a pupil is eligible for Free School Meals because of low income.
- Where a pupil is currently not eligible for Free School Meals and you think they may be eligible, you must apply. (You apply for a Clothing Grant using the same form as for Free School Meals.)
- From 15 November, we’ve been reopening our primary school lunch halls on a phased basis to offer P1-P7 pupils two hot meal options and one cold meal option. Hot meals will also be available in our high schools from 29 November. BACS payments covering Monday 1 Nov to Fri 26 November have been made to parents of pupils who qualify for free school meals. No further school term-time Free School Meal payments will be made.
|Payment||Paid to bank accounts||Details|
|Christmas holiday payment||Thursday 16 December||
P1 – S6 Thursday 23 December 2021 to Monday 10 January 2022
£27.30 per primary pupil£29.90 per secondary pupil
Scottish Child Payment Bridging Payments
|Thursday 16 December||
£160 per pupil for those eligible for Free School Meals P1-S6
• Children and young people receiving universal Free School Meal provision – i.e. those in P1-P4 who would not qualify for Free School Meals on low income criteria - are not eligible.
For wider enquiries about welfare and benefits:
Term 2 - Thursday 7 January 2021 until further notice
- Key workers' and vulnerable children in school are provided with a free packed lunch from our school meals service.
- For all other children and young people from P1-S6 who are entitled to free school meals because of low income, BACS payments will continue as current 4 week payment cycle.
Apply for free school meals and clothing grant
If you have not already done so, please consider applying for free school meals and school clothing grant (PDF).
Contact your child’s school if you have any questions about school lunches or clothing, or if your financial circumstances have changed.
If you are in extreme financial hardship you may want to apply to the Scottish Welfare Fund.
If your financial circumstances have changed, you can apply for Free School Meals only (Clothing Grant will close on 31/03/22).
Apply if you receive:
- Universal Credit (where your monthly earned income is not more than £625)
- Income Support
- Income based Job Seeker’s Allowance
- Income based Employment and Support Allowance
- Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
Your child is also entitled to Free School Lunches (Clothing Grant Applications will close on 31/03/22) if you receive:
- Child Tax Credit, but not Working Tax Credit, and your annual income is less than £16,105.
- Both maximum Child Tax Credit and maximum Working Tax Credit, and your annual income is less than £7500.
How to apply
You need only apply once per year. Supporting evidence will be needed at the time of applying. We cannot process applications until we receive this.
Please follow this advice to reduce the risks of sending personal information by email:
- Do not use a shared device to send your email.
- Do not use an unsecured or public WiFi network to send your email.
- Before sending, double check the email address you are sending to is firstname.lastname@example.org
- After sending, delete your personal documents from your sent email.
What happens next?
We aim to process all applications within 28 days, although this may vary in busy periods. Free school meals will be awarded immediately, and clothing grants will normally be awarded within 28 days from receipt of application. Regular payments will be made up to 31 March 2022.
Apply for a Good Time to Be 2 place
If you have a two-year-old child you may be eligible for up to 1140 hours of high quality early learning at a nursery or other setting.