Free school meals and clothing grants
Free school meals and clothing grants update
Last updated: 11 January 2021
|Payment||Paid to Bank Accounts||Notes|
|School Closure/Distance Learning||Thursday 14 January||
Covers Monday18 January 2021 - Monday 15 February (the end of the mid-term break so including the Monday).
Payments only to parents/carers where a pupil is eligible for Free School Meals.
£44.10 per primary pupil and £48.30 per secondary pupil.
- All payments are made only to parents/carers where a pupil is eligible for free school meals. If you have any free school meals enquiries please email [email protected]
- Where a pupil is currently not eligible for free school meals and a parent/carers think they may be eligible, the application process must be followed and completed.
- Children and young people receiving universal free school meal provision – i.e. those in P1-P3 who would not qualify for free school meals on low income criteria - are not eligible.
For wider enquiries about welfare and benefits:
Term 2 - Thursday 7 January 2021 until further notice
- Key workers' and vulnerable children in school will be provided with a free packed lunch from our school meals service.
- For all other children and young people from P1-S6 who are entitled to free school meals because of low income, BACS payments will continue as current 4 week payment cycle.
Apply for free school meals and clothing grant
If you have not already done so please consider applying for free school meals and school clothing grant
Alternatively, contact your child’s school if you have any further questions or concerns about the provision of school lunches/school clothing grant or if your financial circumstances have changed and you need additional advice and support.
If you are in extreme financial hardship you may want to apply to the Scottish Welfare Fund
If your financial circumstances have changed, you can apply for free school meals and a clothing grant if you receive:
- Universal Credit (where your monthly earned income is not more than £610)
- Income Support
- Income based Job Seeker’s Allowance
- Income based Employment and Support Allowance
- Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
Your child is also entitled to free school lunches and a clothing grant if you receive:
- Child Tax Credit, but not Working Tax Credit, and your annual income is less than £16,105
- Both maximum Child Tax Credit and maximum Working Tax Credit, and your annual income is less than £6,900
How to apply
To apply, download and complete the application form below then email it with any supporting documents to [email protected]. There is a single application form for both benefits. You need only apply once per year. Supporting evidence will be needed at the time of applying. We cannot process applications until we receive this.
Please follow this advice to reduce the risks of sending personal information by email:
- Do not use a shared device to send your email.
- Do not use an unsecured or public WiFi network to send your email.
- Before sending, double check the email address you are sending to is [email protected]
- After sending, delete your personal documents from your sent email.
- Free school meals and clothing application form (Word version)
- Free school meals and clothing application form (PDF version)
Advice for mobile/tablet device users
Please use either Microsoft Wordor Adobe Acrobat Reader(both free to download from your app store) to open up the form which should allow you to complete and save the application ready to email. Email the completed form and any supporting documents to [email protected]
What happens next?
We aim to process all applications within 28 days, although this may vary in busy periods. Free school meals will be awarded immediately, and clothing grants will normally be awarded within 28 days from receipt of application. Regular payments will be made up to 31 March 2021.