IMPORTANT INFORMATION: Garden waste collections to restart
As you know, in response to COVID-19, we had to suspend kerbside collections of brown bins due to staff shortages and physical distancing requirements. We’re now confident we have adequate measures in place to allow us to safely restart your full garden waste collection service.
The paid for service will start with a special additional one-off brown bin collection over this weekend and next weekend.
- If your blue bin was collected this week (Monday 4 to Friday 8 May) your brown bin will be collected on Saturday 9 or Sunday 10 May
- If your blue bin is due to be collected next week (Monday 11 to Friday 15 May) your brown bin will be collected on Saturday 16 or Sunday 17 May
- Check your bin calendar for blue bin collection date if unsure.
Please place your brown bin out for collection by 7am on the Saturday of your collection weekend. Make sure it’s not too heavy, the garden waste inside is not compacted, and that the lid is closed. If your bin is not collected by 4pm on the Sunday please retrieve your brown bin and continue to store your garden waste until we have the resources available to resume collections again.
If you haven’t yet received a new or replacement sticker, please put out your brown bin as above. Our crews have a note of households who have signed up to the service.
Restarting the full service
Kerbside collections of garden waste will begin again from 27 May.
- Your first collection will take place on your first scheduled collection day on or after this date.
- For most people your brown bin is collected on the same day as your grey bin.
- Check your bin calendar
We appreciate you may have built up excess garden waste over the last few weeks but please keep hold of any that doesn’t fit in your bin and put it out over your next collection dates. Overflowing, heavy bins or waste placed at the side of bins won’t be collected.
To make up for missed collections during the service suspension, we’re extending the service through to 12 March 2021. This means you will now receive 20 uplifts instead of 18. We hope this goes some way in offering compensation for the temporary suspension in service.
No further refunds or compensation will be offered. As we're sure you will appreciate, we were reacting to unprecedented circumstances and suspending the service was not a decision that was taken lightly.
How you can help
- If you’ve registered for this garden waste service on behalf of someone else, please pass on the details of this update. Please also mention the update to anyone who may not be receiving emails at the moment.
- Please check on your neighbours and family and offer to put bins out for collection for anyone who is unable or is currently self-isolating.
- Our Contact Centre staff are continuing to support our most vulnerable residents at the moment – if you have comments or questions please don’t call at this stage as it’s vitally important we keep our phone lines free so our contact centre staff can deal with emergencies.
We’d like to thank you again for your patience as we’ve worked through this unprecedented situation, and for your kindness to our bin crews as they’ve been out on their rounds – it has meant a lot.