Support for deaf or blind people

Deaf and hearing impaired services

In partnership with Deaf Action, we support people of all ages who are affected by deafness or hearing impairment.

  • Services for deaf and hearing-impaired schoolchildren
  • Communication Support
  • BSL/English interpretation, lip speakers, note-takers, deaf blind interpretation.
  • Assessment and ongoing social work support

Deaf Action's social work team offer a statutory social work assessment using the principles of SDS (Self Directed Support), to create a care plan agreed by you, your family and or carers ( where appropriate).

  • Assessing your needs
  • Self directed support in Midlothian
  • All social workers are registered with the Scottish Social Services Council, and have specialist training and/or experience in working with deaf and hearing impaired people.
  • Specialist equipment - we will provide information and advice, installation, maintenance and repair of specialist equipment deemed necessary following assessment.
  • Visiting outreach support service - a home based individual support to promote independent living, covering a range of practical, financial, social, health and wellbeing issues.

More support

You can refer yourself to Deaf Action for help:

  • Head Office: 49 Albany Street, Edinburgh, EH1 3QY
  • phone 0131 556 3128
  • text phone 0131 557 0419
  • fax 0131 557 8283 or
  • sms 07775 620 757

Hearing aid maintenance clinics - Suspended until further notice

Hearing aid clinics in Dalkeith and Penicuik are closed until further notice.

For hearing aid batteries, please phone Audiology on 0131 536 1637  or email [email protected] to request batteries be sent out by post.

Audiology can also be contacted for any urgent repairs and advice.

Contact us

  • [email protected]
  • phone 0131 271 3900
  • visit Fairfield House, 8 Lothian Road, Dalkeith, EH22 3ZH

More information