Support for deaf or blind people
Deaf and hearing impaired services
In partnership with Deaf Action, we support people of all ages who are affected by deafness or hearing impairment.
- Services for deaf and hearing-impaired schoolchildren
- Communication Support
- BSL/English interpretation, lip speakers, note-takers, deaf blind interpretation.
- Assessment and ongoing social work support
Deaf Action's social work team offer a statutory social work assessment agreed with you, your family and/or carers.
Following assessment, an individual care plan will be created covering all areas of support. Help with Self Directed Support planning is also available.
- All social workers are registered with the Scottish Social Services Council, and have specialist training and/or experience in working with deaf and hearing impaired people.
- Specialist equipment - we will provide information and advice, installation, maintenance and repair of specialist equipment deemed necessary following assessment.
- Visiting outreach support service - a home based individual support to promote independent living, covering a range of practical, financial, social, health and wellbeing issues.
You can refer yourself to Deaf Action for help:
- Deaf action website
- Head Office: 49 Albany Street, Edinburgh, EH1 3QY
- phone 0131 556 3128
- text phone 0131 557 0419
- fax 0131 557 8283 or
- sms 07775 620 757
Or you can contact Midlothian Council:
- phone 0131 271 3900
- visiting Fairfield House, 8 Lothian Road, Dalkeith, EH22 3ZH