Support for deaf or blind people
Deaf and hearing impaired services
In partnership with Deaf Action, we support people of all ages who are affected by deafness or hearing impairment.
- Services for deaf and hearing-impaired schoolchildren
- Communication Support
- BSL/English interpretation, lip speakers, note-takers, deaf blind interpretation.
- Assessment and ongoing social work support
Deaf Action's social work team offer a statutory social work assessment using the principles of SDS (Self Directed Support), to create a care plan agreed by you, your family and or carers ( where appropriate).
- Assessing your needs
- Self directed support in Midlothian
- All social workers are registered with the Scottish Social Services Council, and have specialist training and/or experience in working with deaf and hearing impaired people.
- Specialist equipment - we will provide information and advice, installation, maintenance and repair of specialist equipment deemed necessary following assessment.
- Visiting outreach support service - a home based individual support to promote independent living, covering a range of practical, financial, social, health and wellbeing issues.
You can refer yourself to Deaf Action for help:
- Head Office: 49 Albany Street, Edinburgh, EH1 3QY
- phone 0131 556 3128
- text phone 0131 557 0419
- fax 0131 557 8283 or
- sms 07775 620 757
Hearing aid maintenance clinics - SUSPENDED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE
Hearing aid clinics in Dalkeith and Penicuik are closed until further notice.
For hearing aid batteries, please phone Audiology on 0131 536 1637 or email [email protected] to request batteries be sent out by post.
Audiology can also be contacted for any urgent repairs and advice.
- [email protected]
- phone 0131 271 3900
- visit Fairfield House, 8 Lothian Road, Dalkeith, EH22 3ZH